These yummy cookies were featured in our “Culinary Creations Even a Grinch Would Love” class:
- 1 box ready to use pie crust 2 crusts total
- 1 can apple pie filling or homemade apple pie filling
- 1 egg white
- 1-2 tablespoons either large sugar crystals, or regular sugar (optional)
- Whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove pie crusts and let sit 15 minutes per box instructions. Lay out parchment paper and unroll pie crusts. Using a 2.75″ circle cutter, cut circles out of one of the crusts (I made 14 and then at the end I made a couple more with leftovers). You can re-roll the scraps to make more circles. Our reader Julie suggested using the can from the pie filling as a cutter!! What an awesome idea!
- Cut strips (approx 1/4″ or as thick as you’d like) out of the second pie crust. (I used a pastry wheel to make them pretty).
- Open the can of pie filling and pour it onto a cutting board. Dice the apples into small chunks.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of pie filling on each circle (you may have some left over). Using the strips of pastry you cut, weave them on top of each circle to create a lattice
- Brush each cookie crust with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake 12-16 minutes or until browned.
- RECIPE NOTES: My cutter was 2.75″ but if you have one close (2.5-3″) it should work just fine!
Chef Joe Patrick, Eat Cake Productions